Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tiger Woods is BACK!

With the Master's quickly approaching, Tiger Woods has already bagged 3 tournament victories! Making this season Tiger's best in the past 5 years, however; this is not the first time Tiger has had back to back tournament wins going into the Masters. Unfortunatley when it happend in 1999 he ended up loosing by five strokes after holding the lead for through the third day. Hopefully, this years tournament will be different.

I myself  have always been a Tiger fan, growing up my first memory of golf is watching Tiger be awarded A green jacket it 2001. I have followed him from there and always admired his play whenever watching golf. As we all know, in 2010 Tiger's personal life imploded as a result of a car accident. Overnight the seemingly respectable family figure was destroyed and stoned for his extra-martial affairs. With the destruction of his family life, the destruction of his golf game quickly followed. For the last two years, Tiger has gradually been showing glimpses of his former self and it appears that now he is back to his old ways. As a Tiger fan, I hope this Tiger is here to stay and I especially hope he wins the Masters.

3 comments:

  1. I was never a huge Tiger fan but he was very fun to watch when he was great. There were very few competitors in the world like him.

    I hated what happened to his personal life, but I really think he has done a lot to change his image. I know in Charlotte last year he signed autographs for kids after his round -- something he would never do in prior years.

    That said, I don't think he is back. Every year it seems like he wins early tournaments and everyone tries to say that he is back but he never seems to be. I think he just lost his edge. There are too many good young players now that didn't know him in his prime. They don't know how scary it is to have Tiger with his vision set on you when you're leading after Saturday, so these Rory McIllroy's and others aren't intimidated.

    I think he will win a good amount of tournaments and a couple more majors, but I don't think he will ever be what he was or catch Nichlaus's record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a fan of Tiger as a golfer, but I was never really a fan of him as a person. I heard he was a jerk a long time ago before the big scandal. And now that we all heard that he slept with half of the women in America, I dislike him even more. I know people say you shouldn't let an athletes personal life interfere with your opinion of them when they perform, but I find it difficult to cheer for someone when they are that terrible of a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if there is some kind of study that compares the success of athletes with turmoil in their personal life? If so much of athletic performance is psychological--and I suppose that is an open question--then it seems like a turbulent personal life could have a large impact. As Dan said, maybe this slip has caused him to permanently lose his edge?

    ReplyDelete