Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sorry I didn't post this one on time, been battling a cold and severe sleep deprevation. Now, many of you may agree with gun control, and I'm not saying its a bad thing but its something that we cannot allow the govenment to get out of hand with (like the income tax). Consider this, In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.     The following year there was an 89% drop in the crime rate and it has continued to say down since then. To this day Kennesaw claims to have the lowest crime rate for a city its size in the country. Well, you can't really argue with these stats. I am by no means a die-hard gun advocate however if it were up to me, every household in this county would own a gun. If I were a burglar contemplating breaking into a house I would deffiently reconsider my occupation if I knew that every house I entered had a loaded gun waiting for me. 

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting statistic and anecdote. I wonder if they've ever prosecuted someone for not owning a gun. I don't doubt that there is a compelling argument for why this sort of law would work, although a proper study would have to control for other factors (crime has fallen quite a bit since the 80s, so it would be interesting to know how much of it comes from this).

    That said, certainly many countries do have mandatory or essentially mandatory firearm ownership, with lower levels of murder than the US (Switzerland and Israel are good examples). But for the same reason that some people argue that gun control doesn't work because it is not guns that cause violence, we could argue that increasing gun ownership also wouldn't change the underlying causes. The evidence seems to show that culturally similar countries like those of Europe do have similar rates of gun violence regardless of possession levels. Nonetheless, possession levels are a factor, with similar countries with more guns having higher rates of gun homicide.

    ReplyDelete