Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Angels have been grounded.



Last month, sequester cuts grounded the Blue Angels and several other aerial demonstration squadrons. This will be the first time that the Blue Angels, Thunder-birds, and Golden Knights, will not fly over the graduations of Annapolis, the Air Force Academy, and West Point. Even though I am several months removed from the Air Force Academy, I can't help but to sympathize with senior cadets who have waited several long years to throw their hats and become officers as the screaming jets fly over. Emotions aside, this was an easy decision for our government's leadership to make. In fact, I used to go to school with a technician that worked on Thunderbirds, and one day during a thunderbird demonstration, she told me that the cost of fuel for a year was over $20 million dollars,  and on average, $300,000 per show. It makes sense, the military is not recruiting as hard as has in the past few years, and their are few and fewer slots being aloud at the academies. The situation is unfortunate but hopefully the grounding will only be temporary and we will see these marvels fly once again someday soon!




3 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see how the budget-cutting mentality is suddenly making programs that once would have been unthinkable to cut, cuttable. I wonder how long this mentality will last? Although it is sad, as you say, to a certain extent it is healthy, as it allows for decision making without sentimentality. But on the other hand, I can't help but feel that this is a silly way to cut the budget. But these are silly times, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting seeing as the jets are such a tradition to so many people. It really comes down to what is of more worth, money or tradition, and the government chose money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stats you bring in during this post are nothing short of amazing. I can say that I never knew about the graduation flyover, but I think that is a really cool tradition. Obviously, that makes it very tough to see it go. I fully agree with everything you write. If these numbers are so ridiculous, it is unfair to have something so expensive that is purely for the eye's pleasure be a part of our American defense budget. Rarely am I for cutting defense spending, but this does seem like the right thing to do -- a penny saved is a penny earned.
    Like I say, it is sad, but right, for this to be cut out. And I wouldn't be surprised if some alumni who really like the tradition got together and privately fronted the money to give the cadets the flyover they deserve.

    ReplyDelete